ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System Certification
ISO 50001 is a family of international standards and certifications related to energy management, provided by the International Organization of Standardization (ISO). It’s for organizations across the globe who wish to cover the entire scope of their energy usage and performance optimization. With ISO 50001, organizations will be able to demonstrate compliance with stated energy policies.
It also specifies parameters/elements applicable for energy management audits, which include reports, index measurements, documentation, processes, systems, equipment procurement practices, equipment disposal practices, and more.
ISO 50001:2018 - An Introduction
The ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System (EnMS) certification falls under the ISO 50001 family. It lays down the specific requirements to create a framework for an Energy Management System. This includes the implementation, maintenance, and improvement of the EnMS once it has been established in an organization.
ISO 50001:2018 intends to enable an organization to approach the continual energy performance process systematically. It helps achieve the objectives of energy management speedily.
Applicability of ISO 50001:2018
Following are the applicability conditions for ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System certification:
- Any organization, irrespective of sector, size, location, culture, or complexity should be able to apply the principles of ISO 50001:2018.
- ISO 50001:2018 applies to organization-managed and controlled energy performance indices.
- It is applicable to an energy management system of an organization irrespective of where the energy is used, the units consumed, and the type of energy used.
- It is applicable to organizations that can show continual energy performance improvement and it does not define the energy performance level itself.
- It can be applied in tandem with other management systems or be used independently.
Objectives of ISO 50001:2018
The objectives of ISO 50001:2018 certification are:
- To develop a stable and effective policy for efficient energy usage, which may change in the future with respect to requirements.
- To establish objectives and targets to meet all energy policy requirements.
- To use the plan-do-check-act approach to process the energy policy.
- To use organization data to better comprehend energy usage trends and make decisions to improve it.
- To measure the results generated by the applied energy policy.
- To analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of the applied energy policy.
- To continually enhance the organization’s energy management system.
Advantages of ISO 50001:2018
ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System certification provides the following advantages:
- To endorse that an organization is committed to energy usage improvement and energy management through an effective energy management system.
- To establish numerous advantages over the competition in terms of energy usage and savings.
To boost customer, community, employee, and authority confidence towards the organization in matters of energy management.
- To reduce energy usage costs and improvement of energy performance index through effective energy use.
- To improve the global perception of an organization through an international certificate.
- To reduce the negative impact on the environment, including the lowering of carbon footprints.
- To create a framework that measures and reports energy improvements, and improves communication and transparency on energy resource management.
- To create a framework that evaluates and implements avant-garde energy-efficient technologies.
Sustainable Development Goals
ISO has integrated Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) appointed by the United Nations Organization (UNO) in a visionary 15-year plan. Through Intercert’s ISO certifications, the applying organizations will be able to contribute towards the resolution of several crucial problems affecting the world. ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System contributes to the following SDG goals:
- Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy
- Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- Goal 13: Climate Action
Why Intercert for ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System
Since you are now aware of the pioneering advantages of ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System, you should consider adapting your organization's energy management system policies to better fit with ISO 50001:2018 specifications.
We at Intercert will be your trusted certification partner. With us, you’ll leverage the combined expertise of 100+ auditors, tempered by an experience of more than 13 years in the certification field.
Intercert is an accredited Management System Certification Body from SCC (Standard Council of Canada). The SCC has a Multilateral Agreement (MLA) with International Accreditation Forum (IAF), Inter-American Accreditation Cooperation (IAAC), and the Asia.
Pacific Accreditation Cooperation (APAC). Lead auditor training at Intercert is authorized by Exemplar Global.
Our prime directive is to provide impartial and value-added certification and lead-auditor training to help organizations around the world achieve qualitative business goals. To know more about our services, please reach us through the website’s Contact Us page.